Monday, January 25, 2010

Winter entertainment, a blog carnival



I have many favorite winter pastimes and they all take place indoors! I love to sit by the warm woodstove with one or more children and pets around me! Sometimes we play board games, sometimes we get out the clay, but usually it is handwork. I have dabbled in knitting, but can still only handle squares and rectangles. I satisfy myself by trying out different lacework patterns. I did make a pair of socks once, but the stress of it was too much! I like the meditative state knitting puts me into. I don't like to have to pay too close attention.

I wish I could make something as lovely as this red ruffles scarf I found at FoxyGknits etsy shop!
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=16697919&image_id=94834098

As those who have read my blog posts before will know, I really like to sew. I only sew by hand, machines bother me. I guess this is why I focus on small projects, primarily felt. Wool felt is a fabulous fiber and it is just wonderful for working with children. Even small children can get a large needle through the thick pile of the felt and the edges do not fray so you do not need to worry about hiding your seams. This is quite liberating for young stitchers. When my children were very young, I would put the needle in and have them pull it out, stitch by stitch. Needless to say, this took a while! It was a great way to pass away the time on snowed-in or rain-ed-in days. It does not snow where I live (sniff), but we do get a good deal of rain. It is raining right now, in fact. The long gray, wet, cold days are perfect for starting a new sewing project. Lately I have been working on creating a new pattern for a raccoon. Here is what I have so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment